Please find below two open invitations for your submissions of writing or art work:
The first is from the Bridge Magazine, brand new free magazine for anyone living vulnerably or homeless in Edinburgh. Produced in partnership with the MSc Publishing programme at Edinburgh Napier University and the Grassmarket Community Project.
The second is from the Out Of Sight Out Of Mind Exhibition (OOSOOM). OOSOOM is a collaborative project organised by a Planning Group of organisations and individuals who have lived experience of mental health issues. It is hosted by CAPS Independent Advocacy, funded by both the NHS Lothian and Edinburgh & Lothians Health Foundation, and is part of the Scottish Mental Health Arts Festival’s year-round programme.
1.The Bridge Magazine
The Bridge magazine team are currently working on the first issue and would like to invite submissions from anyone who has experienced homelessness or has lived vulnerably at some point in their lives.
We would welcome material of any genre or theme, such as poetry (no longer than 30 lines), stories and essays (no longer then 1,000 words as well as photographs (of Edinburgh only) or artwork (any medium).
Please send any submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject SUBMISSION.
Each submission should be given a title, and photographs or artwork should have a short description and the email should include a statement confirming that the submission is all your own work. For example: ‘I declare that this submission is my own work and has not be copied or taken from another individual or publication.’
Submission Deadline: Friday 17th July 2020, 5pm
Any submissions received after the deadline may also be considered for future issues of the magazine. If your work is not chosen for the first issue, it may be selected for any future issues of the magazine.
Depending on how many submissions are received, it may not be possible to reply to each submission.
The decision of the judges is final & The Bridge magazine team reserve the right to edit any written submissions for clarity.
Postal submissions will be accepted after the deadline for future issues. Please email for information on how to submit via post.
2.Out of Sight Out of Mind (OOSOOM) 2020 Exhibition
A Call for Art:
People who have personal lived experience of mental health issues are invited to submit an artwork to Out of Sight Out of Mind (OOSOOM) exhibition.
Last year more than 180 people took part and exhibited installations, projections, films, animations, paintings, drawings, sound works, prints, sculptures, and photographs.
This year one work per person can be submitted. Artworks can be proposed/submitted in any media and be any size. You are welcome to respond to this year’s Scottish Mental Health Art Festival theme which is ‘perspectives’, however this is not a requirement at all.
What we request:
· Artwork should have been made by people who have personal lived experience of mental health issues
· Artwork does not have to be about the topic of mental health – it can be on any topic
· Artwork can be in any form or media
· Artwork can be any size
· Artwork should not have been shown at a previous OOSOOM exhibition
· If you are submitting artwork on behalf of someone else, that you ensure you have their permission to do so and to check what name they would like displayed next it
· If you are submitting artwork on behalf of someone posthumously, that the person who made it had lived experience of mental health issues
· If possible, to email your submission form as a Word document, however you can also send it as a pdf, or by post
· If possible, to send a photo of the artwork with your submission. If you don’t have a photo, or your artwork is not finished yet, then you can still make a submission, just let us know what you will be submitting in your form
· You to send a completed submission form by Friday 31st July 2020
· You to let us know if you would like to withdraw your submission
What you can expect:
· We aim to treat everyone equally and fairly. For example, we consider that everyone’s artwork is of equal value
· We cannot sell artworks at the exhibition
· We will confirm if we can exhibit your artwork before the end of August 2020
· We will get in touch with you if we need more information about your submission
· We want everyone to be able to take part. However, if the exhibition is over-subscribed priority will be given to people who live in the Lothians, as this is the priority area of the exhibitions funding
· The current situation resulting from COVID-19 may result in changes to the exhibition. If you make a submission, we will let you know about any relevant changes
· We may refuse artworks on grounds such as: advocacy, legality, safety or another reason agreed by the OOSOOM Planning Group
We look forward to receiving your submission.
Return your form by Friday 31st July 2020, by email or post.
Get in touch if you have any questions or would like to speak to us about your or your groups idea/artwork before submitting it.
By email: email@example.com By phone: Leave a message on 07989402634 By post: LEARN Office, CAPS, Floor K, Argyle House, Lady Lawson Street, Edinburgh EH3 9DR
More Info at: www.facebook.com/outofsightoutofmindexhibition/