We are a Charity & multi award winning Social Enterprise which thrives on improving the lives and experiences of some of Edinburgh’s most vulnerable adults. People and community are our passion. Through Mentoring, social enterprise, training and education in a nurturing environment the centre develops skills which enable participants to develop to their full potential. Social Enterprise is core to our sustainability as an organisation and our preferred tool of engagement, empowerment and facilitating greater independence and self-esteem.
Due to the ever-increasing business within our café, much sought after events space and outside catering provision, we are on the lookout for a dynamic, passionate and creative Head Chef to work closely with our Senior Catering & Events Manager and successfully oversee all of our catering facilities.
You will be driven. You will seek to support people at realising their goals and reconnecting with themselves. You will show compassion and see talent where others all to often do not. You be resilient, have determination and be able to work under pressure. You will thrive on being challenged and have a passion for not only developing your people but will be a role model yourself in healthy eating and living.
You will be a natural leader and enjoy mentoring your team. You will have the highest customer service skills and provide the highest quality food products for our customers. You will be the person who will show the world that social enterprise can deliver high quality and safe food just as well, if not better, than the commercial sector.
Working with our Catering & Events team you seek to shift the expectations that our volunteer, trainee and staff team have of themselves to accept nothing but the best the best training and achieve the highest standards of themselves and others. You are creative when designing menus and have a good understanding of food costs & GPs. You will have high standards and strive to ensure that these are met at all times. Food Hygiene and cleanliness will a top priority for you. Your drive and passion will come through in the food that you prepare, and you will exceed the expectations of our customers and guests and inspire your team.
- Minimum of intermediate food hygiene certificate
- Passion for food.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good communication skills
- Skilled and creative and competent across all areas of the kitchen.
- Experience in banqueting and menu development
- Awareness of modern cooking techniques.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people staff/volunteers/ members (beneficiaries/service users)
- A warm, patient and friendly approach
- A good sense of humour and ability to get on with a wide range of people
- A flexible approach and ability to cope with change
- Ability to follow instructions, seek guidance and follow a task through
- A willingness to work flexible hours and days including evenings and weekends when required
- A good level of fitness and health due to the physical nature of working events and in kitchens sometimes under pressure and dealing with stress
- Knowledge and experience of working with vulnerable adults
- City & Guilds 7100 (parts 2 & 3) or NVQ Equivalent
Please apply with CV and covering letter to Catherine Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date is 2nd March 2018.
Terms and Conditions
Location: 86 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh (plus other locations as required)
Reports to: Catering & Events Manager
Salary: £26’500 – £28’500 pa depending on experience (+ employers pension of 3%)
Hours: 35 Hours per week – weekends and evening work will be required
Notice period: 4 weeks by either party
TOIL/Overtime: No overtime will be paid. TOIL will be arranged with your line manager as per our policies
Annual Leave: The post holder will be entitled to 29 days per annum with an increase of 1 extra day every year of continuous service up to the maximum of 34 days per annum