Part time – 21 hours at £13 an hour [£14,200 per annum/£13 p/hour + 18 days holiday+Pension+1 Development / wellbeing Day] Based in Edinburgh [Candlemaker Row] Closing Date – 1st November 2021
Grassmarket Community Project takes an innovative approach to providing sanctuary and support to participants many of whom are amongst the most vulnerable of our citizens. Through mentoring, social enterprise and education in a nurturing environment, the project develops skills enabling participants to develop to their full potential and reconnect with themselves, others and the wider community.
Our vision is to create an environment where people can realise their full potential and re-connect with themselves, others and the wider community.
· People feel valued and every person is given dignity.
· People feel cared about and can move towards independent living without feeling abandoned or isolated.
· People can be confident to trust and value their own decisions, overcoming a poverty of expectation and ultimately realising their own potential.
· People can build a life which reduces dependence on others, gaining self-reliance.
· There is a commitment to be involved with individuals, meeting and welcoming them within the local community.
Our project is based in the heart of the Old Town in Edinburgh, in the Grassmarket. We work with over 500 people a year and deliver on average 800 hours of support per month.
Grassmarket Furniture is our oldest and most established social enterprise. We supply furniture commissions to a wide range of customers from the private, public and third sector and to private individuals. Most of our furniture is made using recycled wood, mostly church pews which we collect from all over the UK, as well as local sustainably sourced timber from windfall tree or trees felled for development. We make anything the customer requires from lamps, award trophies, chopping boards to shop fits, bars and dining room sets. Our prices have ranged from £20 for a candle holder to £5,000 for one table. Our woodwork turnover exceeds over £100k a year and supports a range of vulnerable adults, around 60 a year, who volunteer daily or once a week or are paid apprentices (completing SQA’s) or people on supported employment.
We are looking an enthusiastic and reliable Assistant Workshop Manager who can contribute to the production of furniture and training of beginner level woodworkers, for our flagship social enterprise. Candidates must have a joinery or cabinet-making qualification, or equivalent on the job training, and experience in a professional joinery workshop.
The workshop is staffed largely by trainees and volunteers who are vulnerable adults. Candidates must have experience, or be able to work with people from all walks of life, have empathy for colleagues with support needs, and a willing to listen and learn with compassionate and non-judgemental attitude.
Duties will include:
· Support of vulnerable individuals.
· Manufacturing of commissioned furniture.
· Teaching of basic woodwork, furniture making skills, health & safety and general life skills.
· Keeping a safe workshop at all times.
· Working with current customers, co-managing order book and priorities.
· Help with sourcing recycled timber, and reprocessing this for furniture production.
Submit you CV (with photographic example of your work but no more than 4 pages total)
Plus, a personal statement stating what you will bring to this post (on 1 page) to: Jon@grassmarket.org
By Monday 1st November 12pm
Note: Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held on: Wednesday 10th November – please inform us if you can’t attend this date.