Grassmarket Community Project
10-year Anniversary Christmas Quiz – 5 rounds on 10 Group Themes
1. The lunch room General catch-up
2. Music Group & Choir
3. Repair Shop (Make n Mend) & The woodwork
4. Tartan & History
5. Community Cinema and Creative Writing
Round 1 – The lunch room & On line Coffee Breaks ‘General’ catch-up [16 points]
1. In what part of the body would you find the fibula?
2. If you have cryophobia, what are you afraid of?
3. How many of Henry VIII’s wives were called Catherine?
4. What was the most popular boy’s name in the UK in 2020?
5. Which popular video game franchise has released games with the subtitles World At War and Black Ops?
6. In what US State is the city Nashville?
7. What is the smallest planet in our solar system?
8. Who is the current manager of Manchester United?
Identify these Edinburgh seen birds with their common name
Round 2 Music Group & Choir – 20 points
Q1-10 Which song and sung by which artist do these lyrics come from: (2 points each)
1. “She played the fiddle in an Irish band but she fell in love with an English man.”
2. “This hit, that ice cold, Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold.”
3. “They’re out to get you, better leave while you can, don’t wanna be a boy, you wanna be a man.”
4. “You know I’m just a fool who’s willing to sit around and wait for you.”
5. “Remember to let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better.”
6. “You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you….”
7. “I still don’t know what I was waiting for and my time was running wild…”
8. “Like the legend of the phoenix, all ends with beginnings…”
9. “She’s got a smile that it seems to me reminds me of childhood memories…”
10. “There must be some kind of way outta here, said the joker to the thief…”
Round 3 – Repair Shop (Make n Mend) & The woodwork
1. These 4 Christmassy words have got missed up can you fix them?
1.1 Wolf Snakes
1.2 Totems Lie
1.3 Starfish Rematch
1.4 Boot Gang
2. What are the missing word in the following proverbs/expressions?
2.1 __________ breeds contempt.
2.2. A nod is as good as a __________ to a blind horse.
2.3. March comes in like a lion and goes out like a __________.
2.4. __________ seed goes nine times to the Devil.
2.5. __________ is better than cure.
2.6. Love of __________ is the root of all evil.
3. Name these tools or machines:
Round 4 – Tartan & History (10 Points)
1. A ‘Munro’ is the name for a Scottish mountain above which height?
2. The Gaelic for whisky is Uisge Beatha. What is its literal meaning?
3. The first ever Scotland football team was made up entirely of players from which club?
4. Towards the end of the Victorian era, Dundee was famous for its three Js – Jam, Jute and what?
5. Slains Castle in Aberdeenshire is said to have inspired which tale of horror?
Multiple Choice Scottish Women
6. Which castle did Agnes Randolph (‘Black Agnes’) famously defend against an English siege in 1338?
7. Best known for the long poem ‘Ane Godlie Dreame’ (1603), who was the first Scottish female writer known to have had her work published?
a. Elizabeth Melville
b. Jean Adam
c. Aithbhreac Inghean Coirceadail
8. What is the name of the woman traditionally credited with throwing the first stool during the Prayer Book Riots (1637)?
a. Emelia Geddie
b. Jenny Geddes
c. Margaret Hamilton
9. Which noblewoman raised and personally led a troop of cavalry in 1639 in support of the Covenanters’ war against Charles I?
a. Anne Cunningham, Marchioness of Hamilton
b. Margaret Douglas, Countess of Argyll
c. Margaret Leslie, Countess of Buccleuch
10. Who in 1878 became the first woman to practise as a doctor in Scotland?
a. Sophie Jex-Blake
b. Elsie Inglis
c. Mary Marshall
Round 5 – Community Cinema and Creative Writing (25 Points)
What films are these baddie best known for or first appear in?
1. Nurse Ratched
2. Freddie Gruger
3. Hans Gruber
5. Alex Forrest
6. Ernst Stavro Blofeld
7. Alex DeLarge
What Disney films are these quotes from:
8. “In every job that must be done there is an element of fun.”
9. “Second star to the right and straight on till morning.”
10. “The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.”
11. “Some people are worth melting for.”
Who played these iconic film characters?
12. Ellen Ripley in the ‘Alien’ series.
13. ‘Doc’ Emmett Brown in the ‘Back to the Future’ series.
14. John McClane in the ‘Die Hard’ series.
15. Katniss Everdeen in ‘The Hunger Games’ series.
16. Michael Corleone in the ‘Godfather’ series.
17. Jeffrey ‘The Dude’ Lebowski in ‘The Big Lebowski’ (1998)
18. Peter Venkman in ‘Ghostbusters’ (1984)
19. Atticus Finch in ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ (1962)
20. What is the best selling book of all time?
21. What is the best selling British book of all time?
22. What is the best selling Children’s Book of all time ?
23. What are the names of the three ‘Darling’ children in J.M. Barrie’s ‘Peter Pan’?
24. Which was the first James Bond novel to be published by Ian Fleming?
25. What was the real name of George Eliot?