PART TIME Textiles Social Enterprise Leader
Two days (14 hours) per week – £29,355 per annum pro rata
CLOSING DATE: 5pm – Friday 18th October 2019
We are recruiting a highly organised inspiring and enterprising leader with creativity and team-management skills as well as considerable experience in the textiles industry to lead and expand our Grassmarket Tartans Social enterprise. The Successful applicant will have the drive and passion to take our social enterprise to the next level. They will require the technical skills to train and coach a committed team of trainees and volunteers. They will have a belief in people, a love of design and working in a team and they will enjoy nurturing others whilst achieving sales and profits.
As well as accessing new markets, liaising with customers and building a strong customer base they will be responsible for the weekly training sessions, provided to a group of vulnerable adults who are keen to learn more about working with textile material (tartan) and equipment within a group setting at the Grassmarket Community Project. They will be supported by a core group of highly skilled, experienced and compassionate Volunteer Facilitators.
The Grassmarket Community Project is an award-winning community, charity and fleet of social enterprises which provides a unique blend of support and nurturing in partnership with its members (beneficiaries and volunteers) to help them reconnect and fulfil their potential. Many of our members are amongst the most vulnerable and disadvantaged in our society. Many have experience of isolation, disability, homelessness and mental health issues. The Tartan Social Enterprise Leader will form a vital addition to our team and help us achieve our vision and mission of a more inclusive, fairer and more supportive society where everyone can have the opportunity to reach their potential.
Grassmarket Tartan social enterprise is one of 6 social enterprises run by the charity. Grassmarket Tartans designs, makes and sells Tartan products to provide meaningful and creative experiences for the members of the Tartan group as well as help support the organisation’s wider engagement and Group Activity Programme.
The post is funded by the People’s Postcode Lottery for one year. The post is initially only for 1 year but further funding or enterprise finance is being sort.
The Textile Social Enterprise Leader’s main aim will be to grow the social enterprise whilst more importantly transforming the lives of the people who volunteer and train within it. The growth of enterprise must only be achieved hand-in-hand by the development and enhancement of the member’s (participant’s) self-esteem and sense of achievement and sense of belonging through the teaching of basic textile, creative design, sewing skills and being in community.
For more info on Grassmarket Tartans: https://grassmarkettartans.co.uk/our-story/
For more info on Grassmarket Community Project: http://grassmarket.org/about-us/
Key Roles & Responsibilities & Person Specification
Product Development & Building the Business
- Identify sell-able products/ reach new markets
- Identify and make links with potential retail outlets / new customers
- Service / liaise with existing customers
- Develop a desirable range of in-house Grassmarket Textiles branded products as well as offer products in a range of customer’s Tartan and other fabrics
- Develop point of sales communications and window designs & displays
- Write posts, blogs and manage social media relating to Grassmarket Tartans
- Involve and engage with members as much as possible in all the above tasks and roles
- Assist in construction of a step by step training program for new textile members
- Assist in keeping an accurate record of skills learned by each member
- Help train members to use equipment as required
- Assist in Identifying resources required
- Produce easy to follow production instructions for the members to follow
- Actively encourage and develop member commitment
- Managing orders and communicating with customers
- Packing and sending textile product orders.
- Administration duties relating to the tartan group
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Senior Management Team and/or CEO
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Ability to work with a wide range of people staff/volunteers/ members – ESSENTIAL
- Understanding of Community/Adult Education/Training or Group Facilitation – ESSENTIAL
- A keen interest in Textile design & markets – ESSENTIAL
- Knowledge & experience of textile design & markets – ESSENTIAL
- Knowledge and experience of production methods including sewing – ESSENTIAL
- Excellent Communication skills – both oral and written – ESSENTIAL
- Hold a relevant higher education (or equiv) qualification in a suitable specialism or have equivalent experience in textiles design/production
- Experience of working in a Community/Adult Education/Training or Group Facilitation setting
- Experience of managing retail and/or E-commerce
- Flexibility, patience, commitment and passion for developing people and for being enterprising
Terms and Conditions
- Location: 86 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh (other locations as required)
- Hours: 14 per week – flexible/negotiable but meeting the needs of the Enterprise and the successful candidate
- Salary: £29,355* per annum pro rata + 5% pension (Approx.*£11,742 – £16.13 an hour) – 29 days holiday plus 2 paid personal development days
- Reports to: Senior Manager: Workshop
Email firstname.lastname@example.org 2 documents (attachments saved/titled in your name)
- Your CV [maximum 4 pages of A4]
- PLUS a covering letter [maximum 2 pages of A4], setting out how you fit the above person specification and why you are the ideal candidate for this post
LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED. NO OTHER DOCUMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Applications will be accepted up to 5pm Friday 18th October 2019
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted will be notified on Monday 21st October
Interviews will be held on Monday 28th October 2019
Enquiries can be made to: 0131 225 3626